A message from Countryside’s Church Council – In these turbulent times, we at Countryside’s Community Church wish to reaffirm our mission statement.
We are an inclusive, open and affirming family of faith, welcoming all to God’s table of love and acceptance. We are diverse, yet united by Christ’s example. We care for one another, support one another and challenge one another to become all that God creates us to be. We work together to nurture our community and to promote peace and justice in our conflicted world.
40 Days of Discernment
An organizational committee has formed to create events, classes, activities, and more for our church as we journey into a period of discovery both personal and community based. Countryside will come together for another 40 days of discernment centering on social justice, community organization, our environment and more.
The 40-days will run from Sunday December 4 through Wednesday, January 11.
- There will be workshops and spaces available for community conversation on Monday and Thursday Evenings every week at 7:00 p.m.
- Countryside’s Mission Statement – with Chris Alexander Monday, Dec 5
- Lessons in Language and Why It Matters – with Joni Stacy Monday, Dec 12
- Tikkun Olam: Repair of the World – with Rabbi Azriel Wednesday Dec 14
- Hard Conversations – with Beth Katz Thursday, Dec 15
- Local Politics – with John McCollister Thursday, Dec 22
- People & Privilege: Am I Part of the Problem? – with Ashlei Spivey Thursday, Dec 29
- Recognizing and Responding to Prejudice: Tips for Parents as They Talk to Their Children– with Marie Gaebler Monday, Jan 9
- Immigrant Women and Children in Omaha’s Jail – Sister Kathleen Sullivan Wednesday, January 11
- Open Group Conversation about “What is Church?”
- More to be added. Check back.
- The Chapel and the sanctuary will both be open daily for opportunities for prayer and meditation times. Some of those open prayer times may also include some guided meditations or opportunity of prayer with a pastor.
- Open Prayer and Discernment – Weekdays 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
- Open Prayer and Discernment – Weekdays 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. (except Friday evenings)
- Communion – Wednesdays at Noon
- The committee is gathering ideas and checking out resources for other events throughout the 40-days and we are scheduling those events so that there are 4-5 opportunities during each week for us to come together in an intentional way to be connecting to each other and inviting God into our Conversations.
- Exploring Radical Hospitality Through Play – Saturday, Dec 10, 9:30-11:30 with Rita Otis and Interplay. Hospitality is one of those spirit areas where we can recognize that we are not just a body with a spirit or a spirit with a body, but a body/spirit. Hospitality is made manifest through the body. Spirit is a physical experience – we would not be able to recognize spiritual experience unless there is something going on in our bodies. Come discover what your body knows about hospitality. We will use Interplay forms to do “stuff” and notice what it is like for us to extend hospitality.
Calendar of Events
If you would like to see some specific event offered, please contact Chris Alexander at email@example.com or any member of the Board of Life Ministries to let them know.